Are you giving yourself a chance to be successful?
Whoa there Sport. Don’t answer so fast. I happen to know that in general, sales people, business owners, and most people in general don’t actually give themselves an honest chance to be successful – many rely on dumb luck, charm, a “get it done” attitude, or the ‘ol go-to behavior that’s “always worked in the past”. Many are not actually sure ‘what’ to do in order to be successful.
Not you, right? You know better? Well, there are many far better than me to speak the gospel on personal development but, since you’ve made it this far, here is a top 10 list of easy to use, easy to implement, honestly worthwhile ways to improve your chances of success:
- Plan (research or observe) for your next sales call, vendor meeting, management meeting or client discussion. Some refer to this simply as – be prepared.
- Be accessible by making a variety of communication routes available to people including physical address, phone, email, Twitter address, LinkedIn or Skype.
- Believe in yourself on every call, every meeting, every discussion so you can inspire the confidence and trust that is rightfully yours.
- Create the right communication expectations every time. In other words, don’t tell someone you’ll call them when you know you intend to email or don’t intend to communicate at all.
- If you aren’t sure what to do, be quite, listen and get the other person to talk about themselves.
- Network yourself someway, somehow lest you will forever be a hidden secret.
- Network others and see them be successful and you too will be successful.
- Don’t bother to say what you are going to do, can do, or will do if you can’t, won’t or shouldn’t do it what you are saying.
- Celebrate other people’s success – generously.
- When all else fails, do what has purpose with persistence and passion and you’ll get far closer to success than what everyone else is doing.
My list doesn’t even begin to crest the tip of the iceberg, so what are you doing to give yourself a chance to be successful?
(Image by Mindaugus Danys)
About Justin McCullough
Justin McCullough is mentor, marketer and leader with more than 10 years of selling experience from startups to large corporations. Justin’s experience ranges from advertising agencies to newspapers and web development firms to book publishers. You can find out more about Justin at www.justinmccullough.com or www.leader4hire.net .